License Mobility, in its simplest terms, is a software assurance benefit that allows businesses to migrate their existing licenses to a third-party data center. (Amazon, Azure, entrada, etc). Primarily this applies to application servers – Lync, Exchange, SharePoint, and CRM. It also will include products such as System Centre, SQL, and Remote Desktop Services.
If you are a Microsoft Volume Licensing customer with eligible* application server licenses that are covered by active Software Assurance, you can elect to use License Mobility through Software Assurance.
Eligible Volume Licensing programs include the Enterprise Agreement, Microsoft Enterprise Subscription Agreement (EAS), and Microsoft Open Value Agreement, where Software Assurance is included, and other Volume Licensing programs where Software Assurance is an option, such as the Microsoft Open License Agreement or the Select Plus Agreement.
The following are key requirements for using License Mobility through Software Assurance with your eligible Volume Licensing products.
- License Mobility through Software Assurance only applies to eligible products as per the Product Use Rights (PUR) document. All products that are currently eligible for “License Mobility within Server Farms” and covered by Software Assurance are eligible for License Mobility through Software Assurance. In addition to those, certain other products can also be granted License Mobility through Software Assurance benefits, and will be identified in Appendix 1 of the PUR.
- Dynamics ERP products, while they are not available through Microsoft Volume Licensing and are not licensed online, have mobility rules that allow for similar use as License Mobility through Software Assurance when deploying in shared environments.
- Windows Server, the Windows® desktop operating system, and desktop application products are not included in License Mobility through Software Assurance.
- Active Software Assurance coverage is required on eligible licenses. All licenses used to run and access your licensed software, such as server licenses, processors licenses, CALs, External Connector (EC) licenses, and server management licenses require active Software Assurance coverage. Your rights to run licensed software and manage instances on Azure expire with the expiration of the Software Assurance coverage on those licenses.
- You need to maintain eligible licenses on Azure for a minimum period of 90 days. After the 90-day period, you can move the licensed software back to your premise.
- For a list of supported software on Azure, go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2721672.
For more information on the requirements for the License Mobility Software Assurance benefit (see Appendix 1 of the PUR) and for a full list of eligible server application products (see “Software Assurance Benefits”) at http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/about-licensing/product-licensing.aspx.
How to Sign Up
As a customer using License Mobility through Software Assurance, you must complete a license verification process. Microsoft will then verify that you have eligible licenses with active Software Assurance and send confirmation that you have completed this verification process. You can deploy your application server software prior to completing the verification process. You are responsible for managing true ups and renewals as required under your Volume Licensing agreement. In addition, you must submit a new verification form when you renew your agreement and when you deploy any previously unverified products.
To start the verification process and review additional details on License Mobility through Software Assurance, go to: http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/software-assurance/license-mobility.aspx.
* Eligible products are identified in the Microsoft PUR under the Appendix “Software Assurance Benefits.” Microsoft Dynamics ERP (enterprise resource planning) products are not licensed through Volume Licensing and are not licensed online, but there are mobility rules that allow for similar use when deploying in shared environments.
For further details on License Mobility through Microsoft Software Assurance download this Guide